[WikiEN-l] Asking for free images on living bios

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Thu Sep 27 13:52:44 UTC 2007

> > ...A photograph of an individual
> > in a public place is by definition
> > not private information.  What
> > occurs in public is public...

> ...I'd imagine we'll be pretty safe...

Safe?

> ...as long as we don't accept
> seriously substandard photographs
> of celebrities, if it's similar in
> appearance...

Copyright infringement case law allow damages for publishing look-alike
pictures, even if only in design, layout, or theme - not just outright
"copies".

My challenge is who takes responsibility?  Wikipedia, or the submitter,
or the photographer?

> ...We want free photos, but we
> don't want free photos likely to
> get us into a whole heap of trouble...

Therein lies the rub.

"Getting into trouble" is not up to us, it's up to anyone who accosts us
or sues us.  We might prevail, or not.

"Doing the right thing" is up to us, regardless.