[WikiEN-l] There are no pictures in Wikipedia any more

Charlie charles.baker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 18:34:21 UTC 2007

> That would suggest that I accept that "human rights" have some kind of
> real existance beyond people's power to enforce them. I do not.

Hope this isn't too off-topic here, but do you really mean this about human
rights?

Do you mean that in the sense of the rhetorical flourish, that human rights
don't exist if we don't enforce them, so lobby your government?

Or do you literally mean that there is nothing more to human rights but our
enforcement of them?

Because if it is the second, then what human rights we have depend entirely
on the local governments willingness and ability to enforce them.  If a
government doesn't enforce a right not to be murdered, for example, how can
you make the argument that they should, if the right has no existence?  To
what principle can you appeal, if not the prior existence of a right?