[WikiEN-l] There are no pictures in Wikipedia any more

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Tue Sep 25 05:33:33 UTC 2007

Rich Holton wrote:
> If the non-free image you uploaded were to remain on the article, it
> significantly reduces the likelihood that someone else (or you) will
> obtain a free image for the article.

Is making the encyclopedia less useful the only way forward here?

For example, could photos insufficiently pure be marked as such with a
special frame or notice, rather than by outright deletion?

I may be going out on a limb here, but I've always thought our primary
purpose here was to make an encyclopedia for people to use, and that
free content is the mechanism by which we do that, not the main point of
the project.

Is there some practical purpose to what I gather is a recent wave of
image deletions? And by practical, I mean described such that a named
group of people will experience near-term benefits. I've only seen it
explained in terms of ideological compliance or technical license
compliance, which has always left me underwhelmed.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:William_Pietri