[WikiEN-l] There are no pictures in Wikipedia any more

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 24 19:21:50 UTC 2007

William Pietri wrote

> That's an intriguing argument. It's not hard to find almost any bit of
> information on Wikipedia, so by that reasoning we wouldn't be hurting
> anybody by shutting down entirely. All Wikipedia does is make existing
> information better available.

That's an intriguing fallacy. Actually WP is constantly adding information that is not at all easy to find, unless you already know where to look, and how to formulate your query. For example, it comes out of a book. On the other hand, it genuinely is easy to find images (which are not generally used to add information to articles, by the way, as maps and diagrams and graphs would) online, in the kinds of cases under discussion.

Charles