[WikiEN-l] Do NOT appeal bans, for your own sake (was Re: Admins who do not have email this user enabled (list inside))

Armed Blowfish diodontida.armata at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 16 17:00:24 UTC 2007

On 16/09/2007, Wily D <wilydoppelganger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Everything can be undone, any block can be appealed (including to the
> unblock mailing list).  I agree that your scenario might be grossly
> insulting if it were true.  But it's not.  Blocks are easily
> appealable.

Come to think of it, appealing blocks of
any kind can often result in being attacked.
Therefore, my advice to blocked or banned
users who have disclosed their real name or
a long-standing pseudonym is this:
DO NOT APPEAL.  Simply request any
courtesy blankings / deletions you want,
hoping that by not appealing you don't
become 'notable', by some odd defintion
that Wikipaedia uses as a justification for
destroying the online and offline reputations
of banned users, and then go poof!  Unless
your requests for courtesy blankings and
deletions are refused, or worse yet
responded to with more attacks, in which
case I guess you are screwed.

And by poof I mean leave Wikipaedia
altogether.  Do not attempt sockpuppetry -
you can easily get caught and then things will
just get worse. There is more at stake here than
simply being able to edit Wikipaedia.  If you
have disclosed your real name, imagine what
future potential employers will think if they
Google your name and find something about
you being banned from Wikipaedia.  And even
if you haven't, if you have a long-standing
pseudonym, you probably want to protect the
online reputation of said pseudonym.  (If you
have not disclosed your real name or a long-
standing pseudonym, I guess you are okay.)

If it's a short-term block, it depends, you
might be better riding it out and archiving
your talk page when it ends.... And by
archive I mean history link archive, so the
blocking notice is hidden from Google.