[WikiEN-l] What's going on? - Inquiry 2

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Sep 14 17:08:00 UTC 2007

On 9/14/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> WikipediaEditor Durin wrote:
> > On 9/14/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> As it ever occurred to you that Carolyn herself may have preferred so ?
> >

> > Certainly.
> >
> > However, for a major entity such as the Wikimedia Foundation to lose
> > it's Chief Operating Officer without making a formal announcement
> > smacks of organizational immaturity. That this was not done, and that
> > this is being *defended* smacks of reasons that the Foundation wants
> > to keep hidden.
>
> Actually no. I think that on the contrary that case was an example of us
> maturing greatly.
>
> Meanwhile, there is a confidentiality agreement with Carolyn to not
> further comment. Carolyn has the full right of talking to you, but we,
> as an organization, can not give details.
> In the past, there were some questions of how trustworthy the Foundation
> could be with confidential personal data. The Foundation was blamed
> because some private data were supposingly revealed and a couple of
> checkusers preferred to stop being checkusers when we requested them to
> simply give us proof of their real identity, because they feared that
> some spills could occur and their private data could become public.
>
> I find quite amusing that now you are trying to blame us for precisely
> respecting confidentiality :-)
>
> Regardless, I think you'll have to get used to the fact that as the
> organization is growing and maturing, all new hire and all new
> resignations will not be announced noisily, nor commented in all private
> details. You are perfectly free to try to guess who, why, when and what.

Are you stating that Carolyn resigned, and that she was not fired or
laid off, or is it a violation of the confidentiality agreement to
answer that?

I would think the very least amount of transparency a public charity
should have would be to clarify that point, and that the board should
never sign a confidentiality agreement precluding even that.

I can't think of any public charity so grown and mature that it
wouldn't issue a public statement regarding the departure of its COO -
which leads me to believe that it's lack of growth and immaturity that
has brought the WMF to neglect such a thing.