[WikiEN-l] What's going on? - Inquiry 2

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Sep 14 17:04:54 UTC 2007

WikipediaEditor Durin wrote:
> On 9/14/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> As it ever occurred to you that Carolyn herself may have preferred so ?
>>
> Certainly.
>
> However, for a major entity such as the Wikimedia Foundation to lose
> it's Chief Operating Officer without making a formal announcement
> smacks of organizational immaturity. That this was not done, and that
> this is being *defended* smacks of reasons that the Foundation wants
> to keep hidden.
Perhaps a simple announcement saying, "On mm-dd-yyyy Carolyn Doran
ceased to be an employee of the Wikimedia Foundation for personal
reasons," would have been enough to address your claims of
"organizational immaturity".  I'm sure that those in power will keep
that in mind for the future.  Some people would still not be satisfied
unless they received enough information to write an article for "The
National Enquirer" about the matter, but it would show even greater
"organizational immaturity" to engage in breaches of the personal
privacy of former employees.

There will be occasions when serious irregularities surround the
departure of an employee, but delving further into such claims requires
more substance than speculation based solely on the absence of
information.  Would you really have been satisfied by "personal reasons?"

Ec