[WikiEN-l] What's going on? - Inquiry 2

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 11:10:19 UTC 2007

WikipediaEditor Durin wrote:
> On 9/13/07, Kat Walsh <mindspillage at gmail.com> wrote:
>> No one's disputing that there are problems... and often big, honking,
>> obvious ones. But to characterize the issues as coming from
>> indifference or apathy is not only a falsity but an insult to everyone
>> putting in their effort toward them.
>

> I'm seeing a spade and calling it for what it is. The evidence before
> me smacks of gross disorganization, organizational immaturity,
> failure to support long term goals, and an unwillingness to follow
> through on the Foundation's mission.
>
> If the Foundation really, truly is committed to it's mission, then
> pray tell why is it en.wikipedia has in excess of 350,000 non-free
> images, and 20% of its articles contain non-free images? Any
> assertion that en.wikipedia is a free content encyclopedia is
> laughably absurd. That the Foundation has refused to step in
> and do anything about it, instead asserting that local projects
> need to control this, shows that the Foundation is unwilling to
> assume a leadership role in this fundamental area. Kat, you
> know this is a problem. The Foundation knows this is a problem.
> The reaction is hands off, to leave it alone. That IS indifference.
> I'm sorry, but it is what it is. And that is just _one_ of many areas
> in which the leadership is badly failing.
>
> Pray tell, what happened to Carolyn Doran? I've asked on a number
> of fronts and been met with stone walls. The only thing those of us
> not in the Foundation have is that a resolution was passed
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolutions#July_2007
> on July 4th, and six days later Cary Bass removed her from the
> staff list.
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Current_staff&diff=21563&oldid=21560
> There's no copy available of the resolution, no explanation as to
> her departure, nothing. The Chief Operating Officer of a top ten
> web property vanishes, with no explanation of any kind?

As it ever occurred to you that Carolyn herself may have preferred so ?

If the issue disturbs you so much, I have a suggestion. Just give
Carolyn a call. Afaik, she is still living in Florida. You may try to
find her contact on internet, or white pages ? I think that when you
want to know something, the best you can do is to ask directly the
person. No ?

Best

Anthere