[WikiEN-l] dueling templates

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 20:44:46 UTC 2007

The definition you both give is circular: trivia is what is
nonencyclopedic. So then what is non-encyclopedic? Obviously material
that is not important or valuable to the encyclopedia--because its
trivia.
How can you show what is or is not of value to the encyclopedia ?
And if the point is out of context, what is sufficient context? The
material almost always has some relationship to the subject, albeit
sometimes rather faint.

On 9/10/07, Brock Weller <brock.weller at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll give you a definition, information presented with little or no
> context that does not contribute to the encyclopedia value of the
> article. Policies are not and have never been subject to neutral point
> of view, so your attempt to limit my answer seems disingenuous,
> apologies if you did not mean it so.
>
> On 9/10/07, Rich Holton <richholton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Brock Weller wrote:
> > > Trivia is not encyclopedic. That said the information in trivia
> > > sections isn't always destined to remain trivia, it could ascend to
> > > actually worthy of being in an article. But having a section like that
> > > is a giant magnet for dumping crap thats not ready for prime time.
> > >

> > Could you define "trivia" in an NPOV way?

> --
> -Brock

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.