[WikiEN-l] dueling templates

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Sep 9 20:59:49 UTC 2007

Bryan Derksen wrote:
> Brock Weller wrote:
>
>> Trivia sections are not encyclopedic. We require non-trivial sources,
>> and we shouldnt be one ourselves. If they dont fit elsewhere then they
>> are rightly dropped.
>>
> Wikipedia is a work in progress. Often the random bits of information
> that appear in a "trivia" section are things that will _eventually_ fit
> into a better-structured article, but if the article isn't developed
> enough yet they may not fit _right now._
>
> Declaring trivia sections to be "Bad" and deleting them out of hand is
> likely to throw away raw material that would be useful in a more
> finished article.
Another factor is the public's insatiable appetite for trivia.  It
allows people to play "Did you know ...?" when they are sitting together
having drinks.  It also made the Guinness Book of Records one of the
most popular books in the 20th century.  What we can do is build the
readers' confidence that these factoids are indeed correct, and not just
something built on imagination and illusion.

Ec