[WikiEN-l] Follow-up on my Ban from Wikipedia (part 1)

Flame Viper flameviper12 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 20:38:33 UTC 2007

I recently sent a message to the wikien-l mailing list which was a long account of what happened to get me banned from Wikipedia, and also my opinions on the matter. I was very pleased with the response, because my thread actually received legitimate responses instead of the ubiquitous "you're a troll, anything you say is trolling, and now I will ban you from the channel/wiki/mailing list".

And because a lot of people were wondering about the details of the story, which I did not realize were so vague. I will include several links and a timeline (or rough approximation of a timeline) in this message to give a clearer view of events.

Timeline below. I don't have dates for these things, so it will be constructed from memory.

I join Wikipedia as "Flameviper12".

Not being very good at the whole civility thing and not used to Wikipedia/etc, I do a lot of stupid stuff and get some 24-hour blocks, warnings. Petty things.

I get indef-blocked after  vandalizing my own userpage by moving it to various places within my userspace.

Some time passes, and I create an account named Son of a Peach, which is totally unrelated to Flameviper12.

Unfortunately, SoaP gets into trouble much the same as Flameviper12. I wasn't really trying to be civil with the account, and was making an ass of myself by acting like I was on my main account and everything was fine.

Eventually, Son of a Peach becomes indefinitely blocked for some reason (I believe it was 3RR).

I don't know if this was before or after the userpage vandalism/SoaP saga (I think it was before but I'm not certain), but at one point I was relieved of an indefinite block by Samuel Blanning. I was later re-banned.

About a month passes after SoaP is blocked.

I go back on and create another account, "Flameviper in Exile". After a short discussion, the administrator Netsnipe and I make a deal that if FiE can get 200 (or maybe 100, I can't remember) edits, than Flameviper12 (my name as of then) would be unblocked.

I edit, revert vandalism, and do various things as Flameviper in Exile. Joy.

I go to Netsnipe and he unblocks the account Flameviper12. At this point, I have the account's name changed to "Flameviper" without the "12". (NOTE: Many people get confused by this for some reason and assume that Flameviper12 was my sockpuppet. This is incorrect. It's the same account.)

I edit some with Flameviper, and submit an RfA, one of several. It is brutally killed with fire. Even though everyone essentially hates me, I still edit and accomplish some things.

NOTE: This message is not complete because the size limit for this list is 10KB and the full message is 16KB. I am sending both halves of the message at the same time.