[WikiEN-l] The more I think about my ban from Wikipedia, the more I realize how wrong it was.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Sep 6 00:10:10 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:
> On 05/09/07, John Lee <johnleemk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Seriously, I'm not sure why this got through. Probably because either this
>> user was contributing nicely to the list for a while, thus being taken off
>> moderation, or because a mod has particularly lenient standards. Usually
>> it's the latter; I myself probably would have erred on the side of approving
>> it. Contrary to common belief, mods are not too strict about what appears on
>> the list; it's the *blatantly* repetitive/redundant/non-contributing stuff
>> that we reject.
>>
> And wikien-l is an official channel of complaint. It's when it gets
> repetitious wesay "thank you. No really, THANK YOU. THAT'S ENOUGH.
> Talk about something else." Putting a complaint to wikien-l pretty
> much guarantees it'll be looked into by multiple people. It does not,
> however, guarantee the desired response, and repetition doesn't work.
I am not acquainted with the background to Flame Viper's situation, and
don't particularly want to know anything about it.  If his initial post
to start this thread had been the only thing in the thread I would not
have been likely to say anything.

When I did read it I nevertheless assumed good faith, though it is
natural to assume that a person starting such a complaint will present
it in a more favorable light than what might be warranted by the facts.

What disturbs me about these threads is the responses of some users who
are just too quick to find fault, or who have so glued themselves to
literal rules that they are unable to seek any kind of alternate
resolution.  One person who apparently imposed the block seems more
intent on justifying his own actions than attempting any kind of
reconciliation.

Ec