[WikiEN-l] Fromowner

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 15:39:34 UTC 2007

On 9/5/07, James Farrar <james.farrar at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would very much hope that the Foundation can find something better
> to spend the best part of a million dollars on.

It's not an unimportant issue. Wikipedia design is starting to date
and go stale. Design and usability is paramount for any website,
especially a website of our size

This is an issue that would optimally be settled like all of our other
issues, by consensus and volunteer work, but I fear that will not
happen. First off all, the open source method is notoriously bad at
producing good GUIs, and second the inertia of the community is
staggering in this case. I mean, look how hard it was to redesign the
main page!

Maybe hiring a graphic designer to do some work and mockups and things
isn't such a terrible idea. I realise that we're strapped for cash,
but unless we want to look exactly the same in another five years
(which would make us positively prehistoric), I don't think there is
all that many other options.

--Oskar