[WikiEN-l] Anonymous page creation will be reenabled on English Wikipedia.

Brian Salter-Duke b_duke at bigpond.net.au
Mon Oct 29 09:16:46 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 01:11:17AM -0600, Todd Allen wrote:
> Philip Sandifer wrote:

> >> generally just as bad or worse, and harder to remove.
> >>

> > I'm missing, I think, why this is bad.
> >
> > -Phil
> >
> No sources, half the time ("half" being probably an underestimation) on
> very, very borderline subjects that -just- duck speedy to start with,
> usually most of what's there is wrong (because it's pulled from memory,
> not sources), etc.

I think that the majority of articles were probably pulled from memory
and then later the author or others added sources and modified the
article to match the sources. One reason why wikipedia is so successfull
is that the collective memory of people is massive. Do not knock it? If
we relied on people going to sources first all the time, the place would
be much less successful, much less interesting and much smaller. The
collective knowledge of people is what WP has tapped into.

Brian.

          Brian Salter-Duke            b_duke at bigpond.net.au
               [[User:Bduke]]  mainly on en:Wikipedia.
           Also on fr: Wikipedia, Meta-Wiki and Wikiversity