[WikiEN-l] Attributing "attribution required" free images

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 23:42:14 UTC 2007

On 10/30/07, Charlotte Webb <charlottethewebb at gmail.com> wrote:

> if the license allows "derivative works"? hmm...), And then there is
> at least one guy always includes his name as part of the image title
> for his own "cc-by" photos.[1]

I've taken to
doing that too, both for my own images and those I upload from flickr. If
nothing else, it increases the chance that someone pinching the image from
Wikipedia will inadvertently attribute it.

Because
some people are just completely inept when it comes to crediting. For example:

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/02/mont-saint-michel-photos.html

I took the photo two below the one with the giant moon (with the medieval
houses and French flag). It was originally not credited at all. I pointed
this out to them, whereupon they credited the moon photo to me. I pointed
out their error, now they appear to have credited the one four below the
moon to me (even linking to the original image that I took on Wikipedia).
Meanwhile the one I took seems to have wound up on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=387002604&size=o

With no attribution. Obviously I don't care because it's an awful photo.
Same goes for the middle two photos on this page:
http://www.crystalinks.com/carnacstones.html - but I'll be annoyed when
someone pinches a good photo of mine...

Steve