[WikiEN-l] Anonymous page creation will be reenabled on English Wikipedia.

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Oct 28 12:44:08 UTC 2007

On 10/28/07, John Lee <johnleemk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just speaking for myself, I would not have bothered with using AFC as an
> anon. You can't really draw firm conclusions from AFC about the entire
> population of anon editors because it's self-selecting - those who *really*
> want an article, as opposed to those who casually think "Hey, I could start
> a one-para article on this thing I know" are probably more inclined to use
> AFC.

Or create an account, which is the *first* suggestion in the
"Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact title" text.

In that sense I think "turning off anon article creation" is a
positive thing.  At least it encourages people not to reveal their IP
address when creating an article.

Make it easier to create an account (put account creation/login at the
bottom of edit/create page), and I could see "turning off all anon
editing", since it'd actually be making anon editing *more* anonymous.