[WikiEN-l] Anonymous page creation will be reenabled on English Wikipedia.

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 19:38:53 UTC 2007

On 10/27/07, RLS <evendell at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> If one were concerned about en.wp's culture *appearing* open to everyone
> to participate in the decision-making process, one wouldn't present
> proposals that way.  That's all.

The claim that it was "a proposal" was Erik's, not mine.

This had previously been proposed, and approved by the community in
near unanimous discussions where *I* the biggest thing resembling
disagreement.

My message was not a proposal, except in the sense that just about any
action any participates makes is subject to the review of the
community.

Some people might think that the decision to give notice an time to
respond downgrades something to mere "proposal" status, but that
certainly isn't my view.

The primary proponent of the original change doesn't support it
anymore. A significant part of the foundation staff would like to
change it back. ... and, of course,  The date was set far enough out
for the community to shoot it down, though since there is no data and
since there was no sign of that in prior discussions I would have been
surprised.

"Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses"

The real situation would have been no different had a message from Sue
or the board. Had the pitchforks come out they would have backed down.
Or the change could have just been made without notice. In both cases
the community will have ultimately decided this one as well.

If it will make people happier, next time I decided to take initiative
on a fairly clear cut matter I will make that that I find a watery
tart to throw a sword at me first. ;)