[WikiEN-l] Anonymous page creation will be reenabled on English Wikipedia.

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 21:58:33 UTC 2007

On 10/26/07, RLS <evendell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, I'm perfectly willing to discuss it *now*, but I suppose my point
> was that the initial e-mail certainly made it seem as if the decision
> were already final, and it's things like that which cause the paranoiacs
> to complain that there's a cabal...

The long term decision isn't final: the community will need to decide
if we re-disable anonymous page creation.  But we can't fairly make a
decision on that until we have some usable information to go on.

On 10/26/07, Nick <heligolandwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I've a few thoughts, certainly, on a benefits v. disadvantages viewpoint, we
> won't know until we have some facts and figures to dissect,

Right. The issue at hand is that we don't have much information right
now, and we can only obtain information by making the change again.

> but I can't help
> but get the feeling we're returning to focus on quantity over quality,
> anonymous users can still improve almost all articles on the project and
> that's where we should be focusing our attention.

I'd like to suggest that re-enabling anonymous page creation isn't at
all mutually exclusive with quality over quantity.

None of the data we have today supports the conclusion that disabling
anonymous page creation increased quality.  If it did there would be
little  reason to turn anonymous page creation back on.

I'd personally consider a substantial increase in the percentage of
new pages deleted to be a reason to turn anon-page creation back off.
But that will ultimately be the community's decision once it has the
information.