[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia:Excellent short articles

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 12:34:16 UTC 2007

On 24/10/2007, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/23/07, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  If you look at most encyclopaedias, most of their articles are very short
> > a paragraph or two. It's a pity that the overwhelming tendency on
> > Wikipedia is to amalgamate several short articles into one longer one.

> Like many Wikipedia decisions I feel that this one has been made
> defensively.  Short articles collect random unverified crap which they
> do not as much when part of a larger article.  A larger, compendium
> article is more likely to have watching editors, too.

It's actually a strong and direct push from AFD from some people there
to consolidate as much as possible. I'm pretty sure this is not such a
good idea for encyclopaedic usefulness.

- d.

(no, I'm not back from holiday, and I'm certainly not using stray wifi
for any sort of email addiction. Perish forbid!)