[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia struggles, Mozilla set for life?

cohesion cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Wed Oct 24 21:31:43 UTC 2007

> On 10/24/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Personally, I really dislike the idea of any advertising on Wikimedia.
> > > This makes a fool of [[WP:NPOV]], [[WP:COI]] and related policies and
> > > guidelines. It should only be considered if things get extremely
> > > desperate. The advert-free site is refreshing and welcoming and that is
> > > something we should strive to keep, pretty much at all costs.
> >
> > 100% in agreement with you. Ant
>
> My agreement is tempered only by curiousity about what Wikimedia will
> do now that there is a nearly 5 million dollar budget for next year
> when the public will not donate more than 2 million during this
> fundraiser.

I personally don't think it's a COI etc to have adsense or something
similar, but it seems like a lot of *readers* do. I read a lot of
sentiments that say, "stay ad free", "thanks for the free and ad-free
info" etc. I don't really agree that this is as important as it seems
to the people writing it, but there you go.

A good solution, I think, would be to just use google for search. It
wouldn't make the huge profits we could make with adsense, but I don't
think we need those kind of profits. It also has the benefit of not
covering pages with ads, sort of in the same style Firefox makes money
without anyone knowing about it.

I know people love lucene because it's open source etc, but honestly,
I think most people use google to search anyway.

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion