[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia struggles, Mozilla set for life?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Oct 24 18:44:17 UTC 2007

On 10/24/07, GDonato <gdonato at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Personally, I really dislike the idea of any advertising on Wikimedia.
> This makes a fool of [[WP:NPOV]], [[WP:COI]] and related policies and
> guidelines. It should only be considered if things get extremely
> desperate.

Some, like Andrew Keen, have argued exactly the opposite - that unpaid
editors are inevitably bound to create content which serves their own
purposes, so what you end up with when you don't have explicit
advertising is hidden advertising.  I think it's a reasonable point of
view, and something we're starting to see quite a bit of in Wikipedia.

The problem is there's no real way to fix it without throwing away so
many of the basic concepts of Wikipedia.  So while it might be the
best way to go, it's probably best saved for another project.  Maybe
Citizendium could try it, it fits in much better with their model.