[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia and IRC

Zoney zoney.ie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 13:16:16 UTC 2007

On 23/10/2007, Phoenix wiki <phoenix.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've noticed that a lot of wikipedia users don't like irc. I was wondering
> why. Is it just because it's not as transparent?
>
> Phoenix 15

I participated on IRC regularly for some time a number of years back. I came
to the conclusion that yes, it was great discussing things in real-time with
other editors, but it wasn't always that sensible or useful. In the end, I
found it too distracting to be logged on while doing other things, and
because of my not considering worthwhile enough, thus I stopped logging on.
I have similar reasons for no longer being as active an editor on Wikipedia
- the concerns I have about the project aren't enough to stop me being
involved, but are enough that I can't justify devoting much time to it.

The mailing list is pretty good, as it requires very little effort to skim
through threads and discussions, particularly using the interface of Gmail.
I really appreciate keeping track at least of what kind of things are
discussed here on the mailing list now that my personal activity on
Wikipedia is lower.

Zoney
--
~()____) This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...