[WikiEN-l] fundraising

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 02:18:16 UTC 2007

Okay guys.

There is nothing mysterious in this "spam", this is simply the coming
fundraiser.

So, to keep you up to date, there were many messages on the wikimedia
foundation list on this topic in the past few weeks, but I guess you
were too busy to have a look. That's okay.

Announcement for the quick off was here
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-October/034148.html

Whilst you are at it, please have a look here:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-October/034147.html

---------------

I am aware that most of you do not know what is going on behind the
doors whilst you are editing. Again, that is fine. Wikimedia projects
have become a pretty complex set, with some busy only editing, others
taking care of fundraising, others making sure the websites are up and
in good order etc...

So, bottom line, we need money to operate the websites and to do more as
well. Those of you who were already wikipedians 3 years ago (or worse
:-)) will remember a time where the site was slow and sometimes dead.
Hopefully, though we grew enormously, your editing experience is now
good 99% of the time. This does not come from nowhere. There are people
working to make sure that we provide you the best editing and reading
environment.

Now, that means that from time to time, we need money. Every year, we
try to raise funds by various means.

---------------

HOW CAN YOU HELP ?

First, please look at this page:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2007

Many ways

WAY N°1, MENTION THE FUNDRAISING AROUND YOU
There are many buttons to use on your blogs or websites:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2007/web_buttons

WAY N°2, HELP TRANSLATE THE SITENOTICE
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2007/Text_for_sitenotice
Currently, only two languages have been set up. All will be added.
Either the site notice is not translated, and the text will be in
english. Or it is translated. Your turn.
if you are bi(or more)lingual, just come help provide the translation

WAY N°3: HELP SELECT THE BUGGING QUOTES IN THE SITE NOTICE
Where do they come from ? From comments from donators. You may pick some
from here: http://donate.wikimedia.org/en/fundcore_browse
Then what ?
Well, put them here to make a list per language:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2007/comments
Or BE BOLD and directly add them on the live page:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Centralnotice-quotes
Just do it

WAY N°4: BRING POSITIVE CRITICISM
Here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fundraising_2007