[WikiEN-l] Tool announcement: Alternative names redirect

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 18:29:29 UTC 2007

> A [Foo] Bar = A Foo Bar, A Bar
> A [Foo|Moo] Bar = A Foo Bar, A Moo Bar
> A [Foo|Moo|] Bar = A Foo Bar, A Moo Bar, A Bar
> A [[Foo|Moo]] Bar = same as previous, but discouraged.

That's the wrong way round. [Foo|Moo|] is, without any need to define
new syntax: "Foo" or "Moo" or "" (the empty string, ie. nothing).
Personally, I would put the extra pipe at the beginning, but either
would work without any extra programming.

So:

A [Foo] Bar = A Foo Bar
A [|Foo] Bar = A Bar, A Foo Bar (the initial | could be consider
implicit if only one option is given - there is no reason to put the
word in brackets unless you intend it to be optional. Depends if the
addition convenience is worth the additional confusion.)
A [Foo|Moo] Bar = A Foo Bar, A Moo Bar
A [|Foo|Moo] Bar = A Bar, A Foo Bar, A Moo Bar