[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia: The Missing Manual (O'Reilly, Dec 2007)

Zoney zoney.ie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 11:04:18 UTC 2007

On 21/10/2007, Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've only got one question, and its the only one that matters...
>
> Has anyone read the thing? Is it correct? What happens if the manual
> contradicts Help pages or, God forbid, policy?

Well, my guess is that it does in some places - how on earth could it not
when our own "Wikipedia" pages could be any random inconsistent decree at
any given time even on the policy or "approved" pages.

I'd be curious to see if this book defines some of the common Wikipedia
terms that someone else in this thread describes here as being newspeak
(actually, I think the way Wikipedia treats words like "consensus" is worse
than newspeak; it's not that the words are given another meaning or given a
good/bad connotation - it's that they can mean anything that the people
using them want them to).

Personally, I'm hoping the book finds its way into my Uni library! I don't
have any problem with people charging money for their work, but I'd prefer
not to pay :-) There - a more honest rationale than a lot of the "free"
ideological stuff!

Zoney
--
~()____) This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...