[WikiEN-l] Firefox (was Re: Wikipedia: The Missing Manual (O'Reilly, Dec 2007))

Ron Ritzman ritzman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 23:57:13 UTC 2007

On 10/21/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> I think it'd only be a major PR disaster if they didn't have a clear legal case.

Sometimes having a case doesn't mean you should. Back in the mid 90s,
Sony bullied some poor college student for running a bot called
"Alexbot" on an IRC channel called #Jeopardy.

> What do you think the WMF should do if it *did* have a clear legal
> case?  What if someone called their proprietary encyclopedia
> "Wikipedia Premium Edition"?  Would you suggest the WMF sue people
> over how they title their books?  Would it be a major PR disaster if
> they did so?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that under the GFDL,
anybody is free to take our content, repackage it and sell it for a
zillion dollars without giving us shit as long as they also license it
under the GFDL allowing another someone to sell it for a zillion
dollars and not give them shit. Isn't that one of the reasons we don't
allow "non commercial use only" and "Wikipedia only" licenses on
images?