[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia: The Missing Manual (O'Reilly, Dec 2007)

RLS evendell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 21:36:12 UTC 2007

On 10/21/07, Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've only got one question, and its the only one that matters...
>
> Has anyone read the thing? Is it correct? What happens if the manual
> contradicts Help pages or, God forbid, policy?

This had just occurred to me as well... I'm not so concerned about it
being wrong at the time of publication, I'm more concerned that, as a
printed work, it won't be evolving along with Wikipedia policy and
practices which have a tendency to change and grow quite rapidly in
certain areas.  Parts of the book will be useless within a month of
its publication, and at least half of it will likely be outdated
within 6-12 months.

So, this time next year, we'll have to deal with hordes of people who
joined the project because of the book quoting it as policy in
discussions when the relevant policy has been updated.  Boy, I'm
cynical.

--Darkwind