[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia: The Missing Manual (O'Reilly, Dec 2007)

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sun Oct 21 20:21:07 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:
>> Of course what I meant is that actually forcing them to do so would be
>> equivalent to robbery.
>>

> Well, I said they should be forced to make their work free content
> only if it can be done legally, which would make it quite distinct
> from robbery, which is illegal.
>
> I find it interesting though that'd you'd equate enforcement of
> trademark law to robbery.

There is legal and there is right, and you shouldn't confuse the two.

If trademark law were badly written, it might still be legal to take
this guy's work through threat of lawsuit. However, that would still
still be wrong, as it's not our property and he hasn't harmed us.
Certainly not in a way that requires him to give us months of work in
recompense.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>