[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sun Oct 21 01:29:13 UTC 2007

fredbaud at waterwiki.info wrote:
>> The question I keep asking myself about these proposals is: Who does it
>> serve? Delinking shock sites serves our readers. Delinking sites that we
>> don't like because of how they treat us most obviously serves ourselves
>> at the expense of our readers. Your argument that it also has a subtle,
>> long-term effect on our ability to serve readers is interesting, but
>> unproven, and could just as well have the opposite effect.
>
> You never seem to understand the issue. One suspects your sustained mischaracterization of the issue is not an accident.

Fred, if you'd like to say you think I'm acting in bad faith, just do
it. Saying "one suspects" when you mean "I suspect" is unhelpful and I
find it annoying. Regardless, I'm sorry you suspect that. You're wrong.
Let me know if I can do anything to help clear up your concerns for you.

I may well be misunderstanding things, though. I certainly do it often
enough. If you are concerned about that, perhaps you could -- like a few
others here -- write up an essay with your entire view on the subject?
Trying to puzzle it out from a collection of short blocks like the one
below is challenging.

> We have plenty on the site which shocks the average reader and are strongly committed to presenting such information without censorship. Harassment is attacks directed at our users. We support our users by minimizing the degree of harassment they are exposed to.

Yes, I'm all for minimizing harassment. And I'm also against censorship.
I'm glad we agree on these principles

Where I believe we disagree is in the balance between them. When they
conflict -- which only happens rarely -- I favor the latter. I believe
that article space is inviolate, and that we should exercise great
caution in censoring other spaces. My understanding is that in some
circumstances, you favor the former principle. I think I understand why,
and I agree with the sentiment. I just believe that the benefit is
smaller and the costs much larger than what I understand your evaluation
to be.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>