[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

Wily D wilydoppelganger at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 14:30:02 UTC 2007

> RLS wrote:
> > Dude.  Nobody's arguing against removing a poor source.  We're arguing
> > against removing valid, useful sources just because the same site
> > contains harassment of an editor. THAT will cause us to violate NPOV.
>
> Isn't this fairly rare, though?
>
> Let's not get too hung up on edge cases.  The bulk of the cases of
> interest are links to sites that are *literally* harasssment sites,
> through and through, and not valid references for anything at all.
>
> 1. No one is arguing (I hope) that links to Encyclopedia Dramatica are
> valid sources for articles.
>
> 2. No one is arguing (I hope) that a random evil post on a BBC
> messageboard would make it ok to ban all links to the BBC.
>
> The only real question is where and how to draw the line, but we are
> actually fortunate in this regard: there are virtually no borderline
> cases as an empirical matter.
>
> --Jimbo

Jimmy

This second point is being argued and enforced from time to time.  I
have seen all links to one domain purged because one of the ~80 000
pages at somesite.com had undesireable material.  That it's rare is
not really the issue, because in cases like ED BADSITES is wholley
irrelevant anyhow.   Even without anything even vaguely like BADSITES
there's already enough in place to not link to ED.  BADSITES and ilk
are only about the exceptional cases.

WilyD