[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sat Oct 20 04:52:13 UTC 2007

On 20 Oct 2007 at 04:16:18 +0100, "David Gerard" <dgerard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> We do it for shock sites, and antisocialmedia.net is odious enough to
> deserve not being linked.

I could see doing it for "shock sites" in the sense of things that
would likely shock the sensibilities of anybody who stumbles on it
unawares, like hard-core porn, shock-jock-style humor, ethnic hatred,
and so on, to make people pause and think about just what they're
going to and be aware of what they're getting themselves into --
though some might still argue that this was inherently a POV
judgment, and insulting to the reader's intelligence; those same
arguments were made with regard to the use of spoiler warnings
earlier.  But I can still see the point of doing it.  However, ASM
isn't such a "shock site" which would be inherently offensive to
those not deeply involved in the struggles and controversies that
site pertains to.  It's not full of nudity, foul language, crude
sexual references, and the like.  It just has discussion of people
and their alleged character flaws and bad actions.  The New York
Times found it suitable to link to when they did an article on the
controversy.  Parents are unlikely to find it grossly unsuitable for
their children to read, though the kids would likely be totally bored
by it.

--
== Dan ==