[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sat Oct 20 00:59:03 UTC 2007

fredbaud at waterwiki.info wrote:
> Yep, your stawmen are indeed straw. You know they are not genuine alternatives, just debating points.

Fred, your habit of picking one thing -- generally peripheral -- out of
a longer post to disagree with, replying with a couple of lines, and
apparently ignoring the meat of my point is wearing on me a little.

You appeared to ask what NPOV had to do with this. Since you are having
trouble seeing it at the small scale of a link to Michael Moore's web
site, I thought taking the principles to an extreme would make it
clearer. I think that's technically a reductio ad absurdum and not a
straw man: I never suggested that you or anybody advocated the extreme
version.

Regardless, if that's not helpful, you can just say, "Sorry, that
doesn't help me. What I'm really trying to understand is...." Given
that, I'm glad to try again.

I definitely don't see this as some sterile debate.  I think it's an
important issue for Wikipedia's future, and want to be sure that
everybody at least understands the risks that we see, whether or not
they see other issues as larger.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>