[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu
Fri Oct 19 14:06:05 UTC 2007

Quoting Will Beback <will.beback.1 at gmail.com>:

> Claiming the moral high ground is not part of the mission of Wikipedia.
> If someone else wants to claim it then fine,. let them. The purpose of
> Wikipedia is to create a free, neutral encyclopedia.

Wikipedia exists in the real world, and the project's reputation matters. It
effects whether people will be likely to help us out or to join or to simply
read. If we're thought of as an authoritarian, censoring dictatorship,
not many
people will join us. Furthermore, you can't have it both ways. You can't say
"The purpose of Wikipedia is to create a free, neutral encyclopedia" but only
have that be relevant when you want it to, and not when you want to remove the
link. Either NPOV is what we're striving for or it isn't. But we don't only
strive for NPOV when it is the convenient part of Will Beback's argument.