[WikiEN-l] Arbcom

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Thu Oct 18 15:41:34 UTC 2007

Jimbo wrote:

> Thatcher131 Wikipedia wrote:
>> I wonder how the community would react if an Arbitrator said, I want
>> to take a 6 month break but not give up my seat entirely; and would
>> Jimbo appoint a replacement for that 6 month period.
>
> That sounds entirely reasonable and possible to me.  One of the
> reasons
> we retain our "constitutional monarchy" is to make possible just that
> sort of reasonable flexibility.

It sounds reasonable to me too, but I don't see how having a
"constitutional monarchy" is necessary in order to make this sort of
thing possible. Many corporations (which are not constitutional
monarchies) have policies that enable employees to take leaves of
absence. The U.S. government (which is also not a constitutional
monarchy) also has policies that allow judges, members of Congress,
or even the president to take a break from their duties (for example,
under circumstances of illness).