[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Oct 18 05:33:47 UTC 2007

Will Beback wrote:
> [[Wikipedia:Verifiability#Self-published sources (online and paper)]]
> (AKA WP:SPS) prohibits most uses of self-published sources. It allows
> two exceptions: we may use the self-published material from
> previously-published individual who are recognized experts in the field
> (a contrversial addition) and we may use self-published sources in
> articles about the subjects themselves provided a number of criteria are
> met. My proposal would add another limitation to the existing exceptions.

The problem is that the limitation isn't particularly coherent, because
whether a source is reliable or not is a completely orthogonal issue. If
michaelmoore.com had never harrassed Wikipedians, it would not have been
any more or less reliable as a source about Michael Moore's views---that
incident has precisely no effect on its reliability (or unreliability)
as a source.

It sounds like what you want is a rule that certain types of sources
should not be used due to concerns *other* than their reliability. So
why not say that?

-Mark