[WikiEN-l] Proposal: Harassment victim support fund

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Thu Oct 18 05:29:35 UTC 2007

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu wrote:
>> [...]
>> I propose that we create a fund to support editors who are being
>> harassed solely or mainly because of legitimate on-Wikipedia work. We
>> fund this through contributions from the community. No WMF money would
>> be involved, but perhaps they would consent to hold and/or supervise the
>> fund. [...]
> I've discussed this idea with a few editors before including JzG,
> Slimvirgin and
> KillerChihuaha all who thought it was a good idea. Unfortunately the first two
> of those are no longer active. In both cases they might very well be active if
> we did have such a fund. IANAL but we would need to set it up as a 501c3
> probably and make very sure to keep it very separate from the foundation. The
> foundation is more important than anyone editor and must be well insulated
> against any legal foul ups by editors.

Keeping it separate certainly would keep things clearer, especially
given that during any actual use of something like this, there would
probably be drama a-plenty for the Foundation to deal with.

Is there some separate but sympathetic non-profit that would be able to
give this a home? For the lawsuit defense stuff, we might be able to
talk the EFF into it, but the rest seems well away from what they do. I
know the Tides Foundation will occasionally shelter fractional
non-profits, but this doesn't seem quite up their alley either.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:William_Pietri