[WikiEN-l] Arbcom

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Oct 17 23:35:59 UTC 2007

Thatcher131 Wikipedia wrote:
> I wonder how the community would react if an Arbitrator said, I want
> to take a 6 month break but not give up my seat entirely; and would
> Jimbo appoint a replacement for that 6 month period.

That sounds entirely reasonable and possible to me.  One of the reasons
we retain our "constitutional monarchy" is to make possible just that
sort of reasonable flexibility.

The main thing we want is that people who are absolutely trusted by the
community to a very high degree are making some cautious and careful
decisions about policy and individual cases in a way that is both
transparent and protective of privacy (two things that are often in
tension of course).

--Jimbo