[WikiEN-l] Arbcom

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Oct 17 23:30:34 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> By all means ask him, but I really can't see him making unilateral
> appointments to ArbCom. I'm not sure he would keep his special
> position within the English Wikipedia hierarchy long if he tried to,
> either - he only has power because the community gives it to him.
> (Well, he's on the board, but that's just gives him a vote on board
> resolutions, it doesn't give him unilateral power over anything.)

Yes, it is unlikely that I would be appointing anyone other than tested
previous members to the ArbCom without broad community input, because
two of the times that I have done so with only the consultation of the
ArbCom itself have not turned out very well at all.

The normal time period for ArbCom elections is December.  Perhaps it
would be sensible to accelerate that a bit, or to have a quick snap
election to expand/fill idle seats.

--Jimbo