[WikiEN-l] Slightly less hideous placeholders

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 21:15:26 UTC 2007

On 17/10/2007, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/10/2007, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> > As well as adding hundreds of placeholders, I have been busy on Flickr
> > looking for replacement images and have uploaded quite a lot of them
> > in the past week or so. So I'm trying to help things along in the
> > right direction ;-)

> As an aside, what articles should we be putting these on? Leaving
> aside the cases where it is known as a fact that there are no images
> of the subject*, it seems to me that it's rather impractical to put it
> on the article of anyone active before, say, the Second World War -
> the law of diminishing returns kicks in with time, and having a
> placeholder that's almost guaranteed never to get an image is probably
> a net loss over having a nice clean article with no image, period.
> Thoughts?

I've been whacking 'em on every living bio. I notice there's quite a
few on people who've died in the last twenty years as well, though I'm
not going that far.

The only problem I can see with whacking 'em on every living bio is an
influx of images that aren't free images, but I'm sure we can cope
with those in the usual manner ...

The only real exceptions would be known recluses (the [[J.D.
Salinger]] exception). Mind you, I'm surprised and pleased that one of
the very few existing photos of [[Thomas Pynchon]] is US Government
PD!

- d.