[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 18:45:36 UTC 2007

On 17/10/2007, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:

> At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, I have to wonder: if Adolph
> Hitler were alive today and had a website, would we link to it
> from [[Adolph Hitler]]?

It is pretty much inconceivable that we wouldn't, I have to say.

This "we don't really need links, no-one will notice if we dump them,
they have no encyclopedic use" argument is silly. Policy is what
happens; one of our most widely accepted editorial-content decisions
is that if there is an "official site", we link to it. That's what
happens, almost invariably; there is massive and wide-ranging
consensus that This Is How We Do Things.

Usually, the only time I see this disputed is for practical reasons -
two sites quarrelling over which one is the proper link - and not for
editorial ones.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk