[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Wed Oct 17 18:13:51 UTC 2007

fredbaud at waterwiki.info wrote:
> [...]
>  a site which was harassing a Wikipedia user by inviting vandalism of his talk page.
>
> Take a real good look at this:
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/29/Arbcom.jpg
>
> Is Michael Moore so wonderful, that such behavior is excusable? What harm is done by removing the link to his website for so long as that is its content?

You're asking what harm is done when we change encyclopedic content to
serve our personal desires?

The harm is that we would violate the trust placed in us by our readers.
We would violate the spirit that brought so many contributors to us. And
we would violate the "absolute and non-negotiable" principle of NPOV.

In other words, we would violate the core of our mission.

Yes, it's a pretty small violation. But pins only make small holes in
balloons, too.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>