[WikiEN-l] BADSITES ArbCom case about to close

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 17 11:34:40 UTC 2007

"David Gerard" wrote

> On 17/10/2007, charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
> <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > 15.1) Wikipedia should not link to websites set up for the purpose of or
> > substantially devoted to harassing its volunteers. Harassment in this context
> > refers to cyber-stalking, offline stalking, outing people without their
> > consent, humiliating them sexually, or threatening them with physical
> > violence.

> Is naming a site the same as linking? Note that in the example that
> caused the case, antisocialmedia.net (which is undoubtedly an attack
> site) was named, not linked, and its name has been in reliable sources
> (under the interpretations pushed by the most prominent advocates of
> BADSITES-like policies).

Naming a site, alluding to a site, hinting at a site's existence: these are not linking to a site. If naming is gaming this principle, then we should treat it like other gaming. Gaming harassment policy is typical of bullying and provocative behaviour - back to the playground. In other works there is a pretty good reason to say WP:HARASS is not for gaming.

Charles