[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

Will Beback will.beback.1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 06:45:46 UTC 2007

Daniel R. Tobias wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2007 at 14:34:44 -0700, Will Beback
> <will.beback.1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Doing so won't punish those sites, or even make them stop the
>> harassment, but it will reduce the disruption to Wikipedia that those
>> sites cause. If there's a better way to do that then please suggest it.
>>
> The way I see it, there has been vastly more disruption to Wikipedia
> coming from attempts to suppress links to sites than has ever
> occurred by the presence of such links.

Opinions obviously differ, but I think a well-crafted policy will give
us the tools to handle future problems without causing so much
disruption. Much of the disruption has been because, in my opinion,
there have been no clear paths for dealing with harassment in linked
sites. Even a guideline that says, "anyone who edits Wikipedia nmay be
harassed with phone calls to their home and business by disgruntled
encyclopedia readers, and the Wikipedia community won't give a damn"
would be clearer than the existing situation. While I'd like to think we
can do better than that, any policy would be better than none.

W.