[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 17 04:29:09 UTC 2007

On 10/15/07, fredbaud at waterwiki.info <fredbaud at waterwiki.info> wrote:
> We could have a policy about that. When threatened or harassed we could
> conform the article to the demands made, but place a notice on it regarding the
> changes made.

I'm not sure if this is meant as satire. This kind of policy may have
a place in Wikinfo, which doesn't have an NPOV policy. It doesn't
belong in Wikipedia.

Mind you, commitment to _neutral educational content_ is actually part
of the core mission of the Foundation as determined by the Board of
WMF:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Mission_and_Vision_statement

It's a cross-project, cross-language commitment.

That doesn't mean of course that we won't ever alter article in
response to demands. But certainly it would be utterly wrong to give
in to threats, harassment and demands by default.

Switching back to personal opinion:

I've refrained from commenting much in the whole BADSITES debate. For
the record, I think the policy idea is understandable but ultimately
deeply misguided. It's behavior that needs to be regulated, not the
flow of hyperlinks. Ask not what you can do about hyperlinks that
could lead to bad sites, ask what you can do about people who distract
from our purpose of creating a useful knowledge resource.
--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik