[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

fredbaud at waterwiki.info fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Wed Oct 17 01:36:33 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Summit [mailto:scs at eskimo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 01:23 PM
To: wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

Will Beback wrote:
> Have you offered a solution?  Are the only two positions on
> this issue BADSITES or THICKSKIN?

We are not, I hope, asking harassed editors to have a thick skin,
to ignore the harassment, to ignore it and hope it will go away.
*BUT*, if a harassed editor's skin is so papery thin that a
single link to some external harassment, inserted for reference
in a non-article-space discussion of that harassment, is
construed by that editor as cause for further anguish, I'm not
sure what we can do for that editor.  In particular: in the
process of discussing (not ignoring) the harassment and
formulating plans to minimize or eliminate it, we're going to
have to talk about it, and we're going to have to include links
where relevant, because links are as vital in web-based discourse
as bibliographic references are on paper.

If the matter is serious enough that open discussion is inappropriate, information regarding the link can be emailed to the arbitration committee and we can make a decision without there being public discussion. This is for material which would be eligible for oversight, and on the same basis.

See Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration/Attack_sites/Proposed_decision#Investigation_of_prohibited_links

Fred