[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

fredbaud at waterwiki.info fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Wed Oct 17 00:30:30 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: David Gerard [mailto:dgerard at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 01:29 PM
To: 'English Wikipedia'
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

On 16/10/2007, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:

> We are not, I hope, asking harassed editors to have a thick skin,
> to ignore the harassment, to ignore it and hope it will go away.
> *BUT*, if a harassed editor's skin is so papery thin that a
> single link to some external harassment, inserted for reference
> in a non-article-space discussion of that harassment, is
> construed by that editor as cause for further anguish, I'm not
> sure what we can do for that editor.  In particular: in the
> process of discussing (not ignoring) the harassment and
> formulating plans to minimize or eliminate it, we're going to
> have to talk about it, and we're going to have to include links
> where relevant, because links are as vital in web-based discourse
> as bibliographic references are on paper.

We have to recognise that in the present discussion, the degree of
sensitivity has in fact reached the stage of actually being community
*versus* encyclopedia content.

- d.

Supporting our users and protecting them from harassment is just part of our ongoing operation, kind of like keeping air in your tires if you're going to ride a bicycle.

Fred