[WikiEN-l] Most useless edit summary ever?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 00:13:11 UTC 2007

> In all fairness, this is probably a consequence of RFA's culture of "must use 100 percent edit summaries before passing"! People quite often write entirely useless edit summaries, aided by the prompt in Preferences, simply to pass RFA. I know I did. Post RFA, however, I realized that updating articles with edit summaries such as "+info" is beyond banal, so I turned the damn prompt off. Now most of my real contributions are without edit summaries. This is, I think, a good thing. Tasting the forbidden fruit labelled "No edit summary" keeps Wikipedia exciting.

"+info" isn't bad. There are plenty of things you can do to an article
which aren't adding information. It would be nice to say what the info
was, but that often boils down to typing the diff into the summary
box, which is pointless. I find I can write pretty good edit summaries
for most mainspace edits without much trouble (/me goes to check
contribs to verify that statement... hmmm... almost all my recent
edits have been reverts... I need to try actually writing something
for a change. Reverts are easy to summarise...).