[WikiEN-l] 2007 Nobel Prizes and the Completeness of Wikipedia

Eugene van der Pijll eugene at vanderpijll.nl
Tue Oct 16 20:24:43 UTC 2007

Magnus Manske schreef:
> Does someone have access to http://www.worldwhoswho.com ? Comparing
> their list to our articles might highlight "important misses".
>
> Looking at their obituaries, we have less than half of them:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Magnus_Manske/wiw_ob
>
> Even though some of these are probably just under slightly different
> names (feel free to edit the page accordingly), these names are from
> their "almost 60,000" nobale people list. That would mean we miss more
> than 30,000 biographies of notable living people. And that's just the
> ones who-is-who considers important...

Actually, it's not just "some of these" who have slightly differently
named articles; I've just created 13 redirects, which accounts for
almost half of your missing articles. So that would mean you can halve
your estimate to 15,000 missing biographies.

(And don't edit that page to correct names; one should never do that if
a page uses an alternate but correct spelling. Create a redirect!)

Many people are missing redirects from their full names. Would it be
useful to create these by bot? Look for articles on people (e.g. by
category [[Category:???? deaths]]), then parse the first line
"'''Names''' (dates)" to get the full name, then create a redirect for
the name.

Eugene