[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu
Tue Oct 16 19:18:15 UTC 2007

Quoting Will Beback <will.beback.1 at gmail.com>:

> joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu wrote:
>> Will Beback wrote:
>>
>>> The aim of creating some kind of policy or guideline to cover the
>>> issue is to give editors a road map of how to handle this type
>>> of problem to minimize the disruptions that have resulted from
>>> off-site harassment. Simply saying it doesn't exist doesn't help.
>>>

>> No one is claiming the off-site harassment doesn't exist or that off-site
>> harassement is not disruptive. The observation being made is that
>> this form of
>> attempting to deal with it, by banning links, appears to be creating more
>> disruption than it is stopping.
>>
> What form of dealing with it do you recommend?
>
> W.

The same thing we've done for a long time with no problem. When someone
links to
something in an attempt to troll, block them and if necessary remove their
comment just as one would remove a trolling remark. This applies to all forms
of trolling and we don't need a special policy for it. But this shouldn't
modifying what links are in article space or what links are used in good-faith
discussions.