[WikiEN-l] 2007 Nobel Prizes and the Completeness of Wikipedia

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 16 09:00:29 UTC 2007

Eugene van der Pijll wrote

> One sign that en.Wikipedia is "nearing completion", is that we have
> articles about subjects before they are in the news, and before people
> would want to look them up.

You make a good point. We are gradually, and I emphasise gradually, putting together the map of academia we should want. There will still be winners of prizes in the humanities that we don't cover.

A very large number of dead people need articles, too. In fact, arguably, one of the most important systemic biases we have is towards people who are still breathing. There is someone who does stats on biographies by birth date, which are striking.

Charles